This conference will be virtual, September 20- 21, 2021.
The Global Congress for Linear Infrastructure and Environment (GCLIE), will compliment the existing continental conferences on transportation ecology, through providing a platform that allows focus on broader, higher-level, global issues and policies that can influence national and international knowledge sharing and bring about positive change. Periodically the continental conferences and the GCLIE will work together developing interest in, and awareness of linear infrastructure and the environment at the global scale. A dedicated global meeting would specifically facilitate networking with our international peers and examine infrastructure and environment topics relevant at a truly global scale.
Existing Continental Conferences: African Conference for Linear Infrastructure and Ecology (ACLIE, https://na.eventscould.com/website/18923/committee); Australasian Network for Ecology and Transportation (ANET, http://www.ecologyandtransport.com/); Infrastructure & Ecology Network Europe (IENE, http://www.iene.info); International Conference on Ecology and Transportation (ICOET, https://icoet.net/); CIBIV, link currently broken).
Our vision is to provide a new opportunity for a global gathering that includes both the intellectual content of a scientific conference and the international reach of the United Nations and Social Development Goals. We will facilitate truly global opportunities for conversation and debate about issues that create bridges between and push the boundaries outside of our respective continental conferences, aiming to improve our understanding of world issues and influence action at this scale.
The main goals of our vision include:
- Building upon the achievements of the continental conferences, complementing them while addressing globally-relevant issues in the study and practice of linear infrastructure and the environment;
- Developing stronger “tools” (e.g., scientific briefs on particular topics) for influencing global decisions-makers to aim for more sustainable new and existing LI.; and,
- Creating a platform to enhance cooperation and coordinated action among the existing continental conferences on ecology and infrastructure and providing assistance and guidance for the hosting of the GCLIE as a companion experience to their respective conference.
What is Linear Infrastructure?
- Roads, highways, motorways
- Canals and irrigation ditches
- Power and data transmission and distribution lines
- Oil, gas, and water pipelines
- Border walls and fences
- Grazing and property-line fences
- Non-motorized tracks and trails